September 27, 2008

Reverence and Earnestness in Governing a State

Confucius said, "In governing a state with a thousand chariots, one should deal with state affairs with reverence and earnestness, be trustworthy in what one says and thrifty in spending, love other men, and use the common people's labour in the right seasons," (Wangdao 139).

I'm not sure if it's because of the bailout Wallstreet is facing or other reasons, but I was led to the section in my book called "On Government." I am not sure if I have an hypothesis for this week. China's National Day is October 1st, which means that almost everyone has a whole week off of work and school. Because of this, it's possible that I will be traveling and seeing new things. I think we'll have to see how my experiences this week apply to the analect I've chosen. On my part, I couldn't even begin to guess.

No comments: