September 21, 2008

Finding Teachers in Others

Confucius said, "Whenever I walk with two other men, I can always find teachers in them. I can learn from their good qualities, and correct those faults in me which are like theirs," (Wangdao 75).

I have a habit of taking on other's facial expressions as my own for the time that I know them. If I had a teacher who bit her lip or a friend who cocked his eyebrow, I would inevitably imitate them for no reason I can find. I think there are better ways to learn from others though. I enjoy thinking about my friends' ideas and opinions, as well as their strengths and weaknesses. A part of me is thinking that perhaps I chose too easy of an analect this week. But it felt right, so there must be something new that I can learn from it even though it is a process I go through naturally quite often.

No comments: